Happy December 1st!! Can you believe it’s here already?? We put our tree up last night - the earliest date ever for our family and I’m loving it! I’m ready for the music, the cookie-making, the Advent season at church, and that joyful energy of anticipation and celebration.
Today I’m sharing a sweet tradition - making homemade paper Advent calendars.
Years ago, I found a cardstock template with the little windows already cut out but that product hasn’t been available for awhile, so my kids have been making their own. Here’s how we do it…
1) Use the back of an old advent calendar as a template, tracing the little window openings.
2) Using an exacto knife and a self-healing mat, carefully cut along the lines, leaving one side still attached.
3) Turn the page over so the pencil lines won’t show.
4) Use high quality colored pencils to create a design that covers the entire front of the paper. Christmas books, cards or magazines can inspire the design as well as favorite things like sports teams or pets.
5) Number your windows.
6) Place a matching - sized sheet of paper underneath and trace the shape of the windows onto it.
7) Decorate the bottom page so little images or words fill the places the windows will reveal when opened.
8) Use a permanent glue stick to seal the two pages together.
9) Hang your Advent calendar and open the numbered windows for December 1-25.
Have FUN and take JOY, friends!! Let me see what your kids make - in the comments here or on Instagram Merry Christmas!!